This is the discussion topic for the Sense of Direction: The Compass Design Process blog post. (Until we automatically export Wordpress posts into topics here)

So, post your thoughts, questions, and criticisms relating specifically to the compass here.
[Image: ins-sig.jpeg]

Co-founder & Creative Director of Insurgency
Really nice post Argyll! It's cool to see all the work you guys put into something that most people take for granted.

The only thing I might like to see (even though I wouldn't use it) is an option to use the first version of the compass. I prefer the the final version, and I do believe it is the best, but more options are always better, right? Wink
Please add an option for the other compass concepts, I particularily fancy the first concept and would like to use it even though it isn't as "visible" mid combat.
Sorry, we aren't implementing the other concepts as options. I agree the first concept looks nice and would make a nice portfolio piece for the designer according to prior expectations of people, but read again why we shifted away from that direction from a functionality perspective.

When looking at the centre of your screen, while aiming or moving, you would have to shift your eye sight all the way to the bottom of the screen to see what the indicator said, and even then the design is too small to read legibly. The design we chose allows you to keep your eyes down your sights and see the indicator out of your peripheral vision to know which direction to turn. If you do have to take your eyes off your sights, to look directly at the compass, then you can still see the centre of the screen with your peripheral vision. Also, the flat compass doesn't correlate to someone's 360 perception, where the circle does.

A compass is a circle for a reason. Yes, games have created a flat design that emulates an aircraft compass, to reference your direction on a flat horizon. This game doesn't have a vast flat horizon like other larger-scale games people are referencing the flat compass. In that case, it would be necessary to have more emphasis on the bearing numbers. In this game, you're not calling out a precise bearing for one of a hundred bushes 300 meters away. You're referencing a door or a street corner 50 meters away, and just need to know what side is what direction as quickly as possible.
[Image: ins-sig.jpeg]

Co-founder & Creative Director of Insurgency
the only problem I see with the compass is that you don't know which direction you're facing unless you or someone used the chatwheel and even then you only know for 5 seconds or so. This make it difficult sometimes to tell your allies where you spotted someone or where to go, etc
(02-11-2015, 17:00)ne3zy Wrote: the only problem I see with the compass is that you don't know which direction you're facing unless you or someone used the chatwheel and even then you only know for 5 seconds or so. This make it difficult sometimes to tell your allies where you spotted someone or where to go, etc

In your keyboard options you can bind a key to toggle the compass.
(02-11-2015, 18:42)SteveS Wrote:
(02-11-2015, 17:00)ne3zy Wrote: the only problem I see with the compass is that you don't know which direction you're facing unless you or someone used the chatwheel and even then you only know for 5 seconds or so. This make it difficult sometimes to tell your allies where you spotted someone or where to go, etc

In your keyboard options you can bind a key to toggle the compass.

Maybe turn that on by default?  New players wouldn't know this exists, and those are the ones that really need direction.
I never know what direction to go to get from the living room to the kitchen
(18-09-2015, 18:55)Argyll Wrote: This is the discussion topic for the Sense of Direction: The Compass Design Process blog post. (Until we automatically export Wordpress posts into topics here)

So, post your thoughts, questions, and criticisms relating specifically to the compass here.

I know this is a very general and embarrassing question, but I love the art form known as video games, so how do I make my own. Obviously there is tutorials on how to use different engines. I want to hear advice from an expert.