[Image: ins_ammo_zps2ccb07b6.png]

Now available on Steam Workshop, which offers auto-updating and client download, but breaks mapcycles:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=310920757

I am back to hosting the non-workshop version (goes in your custom folder) until that issue is sorted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rbiuygaay3p6e...odv99f.vpk

Usage: It's divided into "theaters" matching up various groups, as set for each map by the server admin.

gnalvl_insurgents-vs-socom

gnalvl_insurgents-vs-usmc

gnalvl_opfor-vs-usmc

gnalvl_opfor-vs-socom1

gnalvl_opfor-vs-socom2

gnalvl_rebels-vs-contractors

gnalvl_coop_usmc

gnalvl_coop_socom1

gnalvl_coop_socom2

gnalvl_coop_contractors

To select a theater use the "mp_theater_override" cvar in your CFG. For example, to test against bots, paste this into your listenserver.cfg:

"mp_theater_override" "gnalvl_opfor-vs-socom1"

...and then type "map siege firefight" into the console, or whatever map/mode combination you like.

You can specify theaters for your server on a per-map basis in a cfg named server_ or specify per-map and gamemode using cfg's named server__. In otherwords:

server_siege.cfg,

server_siege_firefight.cfg

try pasting the same "mp_theater_override" "gnalvl_opfor-vs-socom1" line in there.

To host a dedicated server, follow the instructions here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=266580040

Once the server is properly subscribed to the mod (id: 310920757) it will automatically download the latest versions of the mod, and automatically upload to newbie clients who try to join without the mod.

IS Zoom

By default, the game will no longer zoom in when you use iron sights or CQB optics. This allows you to maintain the widest peripheral vision possible when shooting in CQB. However, if you find it hard to see without a tighter FOV, there's a few different binds you can set to get it.

bind MOUSE2 "+toggle_zoom; toggle fov_desired 110 75"

Entering this in your console or into your config file will give you a 110 default FOV, and zoom you down to 75 when you press the ADS key. You can change "110" to "100" or "90" if you want a more moderate default FOV. You can also change "75" to any smaller number you like.

When using this bind, it's possible to have your FOV get reversed if you die while in ADS. For this reason, it'd a good idea to bind a "reset" key like this:

bind K "fov 110"

This will reset your default FOV to 110 when you hit K during "hipshooting" mode. If you don't like using K, change it to any key you want.

You can also set a key to change your FOV separately from using the sights. For example, bind MOUSE5 "toggle fov_desired 110 75" allows you to toggle FOV's with Mouse 5 even if you're sprinting or "hip shooting".

[Image: ins_NIJ_zps0671d89b.png]

With that out of the way, here's a synopsis of what's changed in the mod:

Player Abilities

- sway has a faster speed over a smaller radius, reducing "drunken lean" effect

- walking during ADS causes the sights to wobble around more

- ADS has no automatic zoom, allowing you to retain full peripheral vision

- breath control (focus) functions more as a manual zoom key, with longer duration and less accuracy boost

- sprinting can't turn sharp corners, and has more momentum to it

- sliding is disabled

Squad Strucure and Loadouts

- squads divided into authentic fireteams

- removed redundant classes with dubious or flimsy roles

- renamed existing classes to make their roles obvious and consistent across teams

- loadouts and allowed gear are based on teams depicted in each theater

Gear

- armor divided into 3 "light", "medium", and "heavy" categories based on authentic NIJ classifications

- chest rig/carrier expanded to provide 5 options for how much ammo to bring with your 1 or 2 grenades

- ammo types overhauled to represent specific real life loads authentic to each team, and not limited to HP/AP/tracer

- recoil calculated based on caliber and weight, to produce more distinct differences in weapon handling

- dice roll accuracy eliminated by revising spread based on the weapons' real bench accuracy, multiplied 1.5 for human error

- damage overhauled based on real terminal ballistics, with more distinct balance between light, medium, and heavy calibers

- C4 throw distance reduced

- rocket flight paths are less random and erratic

- M16A4 converted to SDM-R for the 5.56 marksman role

- Mini-14 converted to AC-556 with select-fire, filling the mid-range 5.56 role for PMC's

- Mk18 available in 6.8mm conversion (MRP) for PMC's

[Image: f2e806a1-8acf-4a08-93ea-6e29d893498b_zps53dcfb93.png]
<sup>(weapons with no stock have about double the recoil suggested by their weight and loading)</sup>

Theater-based Teams:

SOCOM1 - A specops force which is lightly armed to get in and out of enemy territory quickly. With only Mk18's, one M249, and one AT4 per squad, this team is better balanced for poorly-armed insurgent teams and less spammy gameplay.

SOCOM2 - A specops force following the common Infantry squad structure with two SAW gunners and two grenadiers per squad, this team is more authentic to common military squads, but the Mk18 keeps things from getting too overpowered.

USMC - Armed with realistic M16A4's which cause FMJ to fragment like a hollowpoint for 150 meters, plus 3 SAW gunners, they are limited to a single squad following the unique marine structure of 13 mean (1 squad leader + 3 fireteams). Their heavy weaponry is balanced via smaller player count.

OPFOR - Representing an entirely hypothetical guerilla force of trained militants, this insurgent team has full access to armor and a standard infantry squad structure to create symetrical combat with the security teams,

Insurgents - Representing a more realistic horde, this team get 19 player slots, but lacks access to armor. It's meant to produce asymetrical combat, especially when put against the 13 man USMC team. Server admins must turn off "balance teams" to make this work.

Contractors vs Rebels - The name "rebels" is meant to suggest the less homogenous arsenal of insurgents in Libya or Syria. This matchup is simply meant to combine the more realistic weapon handling and movement of the mod with the softer class restrictions and wider, less authentic weapon selection of the default game.

[Image: ins_ammo2_zps76760550.png]

...more details to come.

Special thanks to iLag and Jihad for sharing info about the theater system! I wouldn't have got anywhere with this otherwise.

Great to see you've got your first release of this ready. I'll be sure to try it out later today ^-^. 

You don't have to edit the map.txt file at all. If you want to have a specific map to use a specific custom theater, put your mp_theater_override in a cfg named server_<mapname> (eg server_siege.cfg). You can even do this with certain map/mode combinations through server_<map>_<mode> (eg. server_siege_firefight.cfg).

That way the server actually gets tagged as being a custom theater properly.

i cant see the imagessss!! Have you got videos?

I  uploaded images a little bit. (gnalvl_coop_USMC)

[Image: ins_gnalvl_coop_USMC.jpg]

M16 + EOTECH

[Image: ins_M16_EOTECH.jpg]

M16 + AIMPOINT

[Image: ins_M16_AIMPOINT.jpg]

M16 + C79 SCOPE

[Image: ins_M16_C79SCOPE.jpg]

Nice work Gnalvl!
Steam
[Image: b_350_20_FFAD41_E98100_000000_591F11.png]

Quote:I  uploaded images a little bit. (gnalvl_coop_USMC)

[Image: ins_gnalvl_coop_USMC.jpg]

M16 + EOTECH

[Image: ins_M16_EOTECH.jpg]

M16 + AIMPOINT

[Image: ins_M16_AIMPOINT.jpg]

M16 + C79 SCOPE

[Image: ins_M16_C79SCOPE.jpg]

Nice work Gnalvl!
whats the difference??
Quote:whats the difference??

Quote: 

With that out of the way, here's a synopsis of what's changed in the mod:

Player Abilities

- sway has a faster speed over a smaller radius, reducing "drunken lean" effect

- walking during ADS causes the sights to wobble around more

- ADS has no automatic zoom, allowing you to retain full peripheral vision

- breath control (focus) functions more as a manual zoom key, with longer duration and less accuracy boost

- sprinting can't turn sharp corners, and has more momentum to it

- sliding is disabled

Squad Strucure and Loadouts

- squads divided into authentic fireteams

- removed redundant classes with dubious or flimsy roles

- renamed existing classes to make their roles obvious and consistent across teams

- loadouts and allowed gear are based on teams depicted in each theater

Gear

- armor divided into 3 "light", "medium", and "heavy" categories based on authentic NIJ classifications

- chest rig/carrier expanded to provide 5 options for how much ammo to bring with your 1 or 2 grenades

- ammo types overhauled to represent specific real life loads authentic to each team, and not limited to HP/AP/tracer

- recoil calculated based on caliber and weight, to produce more distinct differences in weapon handling

- dice roll accuracy eliminated by revising spread based on the weapons' real bench accuracy, multiplied 1.5 for human error

- damage overhauled based on real terminal ballistics, with more distinct balance between light, medium, and heavy calibers

- C4 throw distance reduced

- rocket flight paths are less random and erratic

- Mini-14 converted to AC-556 with select-fire, filling the mid-range 5.56 role for PMC's

[Image: ins_USMC.png?_subject_uid=147446030&w=AA...rlMTY3IylQ]

Theater-based Teams:

SOCOM1 - A specops force which is lightly armed to get in and out of enemy territory quickly. With only Mk18's, one M249, and one AT4 per squad, this team is better balanced for poorly-armed insurgent teams and less spammy gameplay.

SOCOM2 - A specops force following the common Infantry squad structure with two SAW gunners and two grenadiers per squad, this team is more authentic to common military squads, but the Mk18 keeps things from getting too overpowered.

USMC - Armed with realistic M16A4's which cause FMJ to fragment like a hollowpoint for 150 meters, plus 3 SAW gunners, they are limited to a single squad following the unique marine structure of 13 mean (1 squad leader + 3 fireteams). Their heavy weaponry is balanced via smaller player count.

OPFOR - Representing an entirely hypothetical guerilla force of trained militants, this insurgent team has full access to armor and a standard infantry squad structure to create symetrical combat with the security teams,

Insurgents - Representing a more realistic horde, this team get 19 player slots, but lacks access to armor. It's meant to produce asymetrical combat, especially when put against the 13 man USMC team. Server admins must turn off "balance teams" to make this work.

Contractors vs Rebels - The name "rebels" is meant to suggest the less homogenous arsenal of insurgents in Libya or Syria. This matchup is simply meant to combine the more realistic weapon handling and movement of the mod with the softer class restrictions and wider, less authentic weapon selection of the default game.

...more details to come.

Special thanks to iLag and Jihad for sharing info about the theater system! I wouldn't have got anywhere with this otherwise.

in the op dude.
Franky, thanks for uploading more screens! For some reason the screenshot bind on my INS isn't working right now, which is why I posted so few screens so late after making the OP!

Steve, thanks for the tip. When I get a chance I will try to get a server up running different theaters on different maps, so I can create an example of how to run the different theaters others' servers properly.

Quote:whats the difference??

The optics are all to scale with the EOtech, so even the Elcan and sniper scope doesn't consume your entire screen, and doesn't have an unrealistic advantage over the other optics. It also gives you more peripheral vision!
Gnalvl, many thanks for the mod. I noticed it did not work with bots though, at least in my case. Whenever I try (both methods you have described) the enemy bots seem to be added (if you look at the table of players with TAB) but there is none in the field. My team bots are there with me trying to find the enemy, but... there is none :-(

I would add that above works as described when I select Security. If I select Insurgents as my team, I have no weapon, and no insurgent spawn with me, but Security bots are there in the field shooting at me, but I have to weapon to fight them....
Si vis pacem, para bellum...
nice 1 tom, i thought it was just me having issues as i am a tard but if you are too.... xD

You're welcome :-)

Okay really loathing the inability to look around freely while sprinting. I don't know about you but I can move my head and eyes while running.

And I'm not entirley sure why, but some of the recticles on attachements don't seem to actually indicate the point of impact. The eotech on the M16 comes to mind.
Guys, please mention the theater you were playing when you report bugs, as a feature which works totally fine in one theater can be totally screwy in another... all due to a clerical error made last minute like a missing endbracket or quotation mark.

In engines like Unreal there is a compiler that hunts down syntax errors for you, but in Insurgency's theater system, you just have to blunder into the error in-game and then try to hunt it down by combing the code by eye.

Quote:Gnalvl, many thanks for the mod. I noticed it did not work with bots though, at least in my case. Whenever I try (both methods you have described) the enemy bots seem to be added (if you look at the table of players with TAB) but there is none in the field. My team bots are there with me trying to find the enemy, but... there is none :-(

I would add that above works as described when I select Security. If I select Insurgents as my team, I have no weapon, and no insurgent spawn with me, but Security bots are there in the field shooting at me, but I have to weapon to fight them....

Hmm, aside from the possibility that the theater you're playing is bugged, I recommend checking whether your server settings have "balance teams" on. For playing with humans, "balance teams" should be off for the asymetrical theaters, otherwise people can't join the weaker side with more players slots once they have equal numbers to the other team. However, I noticed with bots, if you have "balance teams" turned off, the game tries to add all the bots to one side till the leftovers spill into spectator team, and none wind up on the opposing team, so you are stuck playing symmetrically games if you want to include bots.

Of course, none of that explains why you would have no weapon - that definitely sounds like a glitch. Like I side, try a different theater and see if the same problem occurs. Then I will know which to check for problems.

EDIT: Are you using the InsurgentsvsSOCOM theater? I checked just now and that one's giving me problems similar to what you described. I'm willing to bet it's the one that everyone's having issues with.

Quote:Okay really loathing the inability to look around freely while sprinting. I don't know about you but I can move my head and eyes while running.

And I'm not entirley sure why, but some of the recticles on attachements don't seem to actually indicate the point of impact. The eotech on the M16 comes to mind.

Yeah, what I really would have liked to do with sprint is change the mouse to a "freelook" function, so you can turn your head around easily, but not actually turn your body.

The turning limitation isn't perfect, and ultimately your ability to turn should be managed by the game's momentum system, so you can only turn during sprint if it follows the laws of physics, but right now the in-game physics don't work that way. I wanted to at least TRY to address the game's propensity towards run-and-gun rather than play it safe and leave it as-is.

It is definitely something that you get used to over time. The strafe keys still have a fair amount of functionality during sprint and will allow you to navigate around some obstructions and keep an eye on some targets that aren't possible with the mouse. Eventually you also learn to just not start sprinting unless you have looked around first. It's not perfect, but I think the end result will be a less run-and-gun oriented game.

As for the point of impact issues, I wonder if this could be an FOV issue? I did most of my testing at 90 degrees FOV and didn't check the others too closely, so it's possible my changes skewed some of the reticles.

That being said, the eotech is almost completely unchanged from the vanilla game so I'm not sure why that particular reticle would give you issues.

It seems like the issue is limited to gnalvl_InsurgentsVsSOCOM only, any map. All other theaters seem to work as advertised, so to speak.

With the gnalvl_InsurgentsVsSOCOM,  I can see multiple error message "NULLpWeapon" in console. If you use TAB key, you can see there are players (bots) for both sides, but Insurgents are impossible to find on any map. If you use the "cpsetup.txt"{ "theaterFile" "gnalvl_InsurgentsVsSOCOM"//EVERYTHING ELSE}  and joint Security, you will have an instant Victory the instant you start the round, to make it more confusing.  If you join Insurgents you just a get a view of map and message "Waiting for players". 
Sounds pretty interesting. How many servers running the mod are up yet? And how many ppl are playing there? I like the squad layout, also the changes to the players loadout. 

What does that mean? Changed models or only changed the restrictions for classes?

Will definately have a look on your mod in few days when iam able to play again. Thats what I was hoping Insurgency thrives to.. some semirealistc tactic shooter. Right now its just team a vs team b.. no asymmetry, nothing special, nothing unique, nothing other games dont have.. :/

[Image: 2MEKZ9N.png]