I just brought this guide fully up to date by basically rewriting the whole thing.  As I mess more with the theater system, I plan on further editing it and not falling way behind again.

And jballou, for what you're doing the theater system does not appear to be adequate.  You will most likely need to recompile the FAL's model to include animations appropriate for the other scopes.  Considering the difficulties others have had in doing so, I wish you the best of luck.

I was able to get it working, what I had to do was mix the existing model animations for the ELCAN and PO scopes, and adjust the models a bit. The biggest issue was the cascading effect of theater files, I was assigning some models and properties to a scope but the default item already had models, so I was getting goofy results. Now that they've put the big scopes on the FAL/M14, that's one more thing I can remove.

My theater file is sort of a mess right now, I've been using it to teach myself how the whole thing works, but I figure I'll share the link in case anyone wants to poke at it. I forget all the changes I've made, but among them are:
  • Insurgents carry suicide bombs instead of RGD5, double C4 radius instant explosion.
  • Increased ammo and grenade counts for security
  • Bots will fire and move much more than normal
  • Reduced bot accuracy and increased amount they fire and length of time they chase players
  • Added 8x scope to M14, M16
  • Removed cost of all items and accessories
  • Moved UMP, MP5K and Shotgun to the Secondary slot
  • Replaced M590 with SAIGA 12K
  • Replaced M40A1 with McMillan TAC .50
  • Added MK48 Machinegun
  • Enabled almost all attachments on Security weapons
It's made for playing around in my coop server with 48 bots, would not be a good PVP theater. https://bitbucket.org/jballou/insurgency...?at=master - I hope it can help someone else learn about this stuff, time to go tinker with the June 25 additions now.

Changes from the last version of Inusrgency have been documented in the first post. Most notable is that weapon upgrades can now be class restricted. As a result, "allowed_weapons" has been changed to "allowed_items", and yet, this change does not appear to have broken old theaters. It's still a good idea to support the name change in your own custom theaters just in case.
Quote:Changes from the last version of Inusrgency have been documented in the first post. Most notable is that weapon upgrades can now be class restricted. As a result, "allowed_weapons" has been changed to "allowed_items", and yet, this change does not appear to have broken old theaters. It's still a good idea to support the name change in your own custom theaters just in case.

Every purchasable item can be locked down so it also includes gear items.
Quote:SteveUK, on 25 Jun 2014 - 2:50 PM, said:

Every purchasable item can be locked down so it also includes gear items.

That's good to hear, however I have a question. I assume that to enable class restriction for armor and vests we just set "class_restricted" "1" in the item definition, but what do we put under "allowed_items" in the player templates? Would "armor" "armorname" and "vest" "vestname" work?
Quote:That's good to hear, however I have a question. I assume that to enable class restriction for armor and vests we just set "class_restricted" "1" in the item definition, but what do we put under "allowed_items" in the player templates? Would "armor" "armorname" and "vest" "vestname" work?

"gear" "name_of_gear"
To the devs, any chance the ability could be added to derive elements from other custom theaters? This would vastly simplify the process of making mods, since you wouldn't have to copy and paste the same elements into every theater variant.

It's one thing to go through the copy/paste process a for a single release... But it's gotten to the point where every time an official update is released, it breaks something in my realism mod, and I am forced to do another release just to fix those things. This simple task involves copying and pasting fixes to the same elements in 11 different theaters, which is incredibly tedious when you have to do it without overwriting things which aren't supposed to be changed.

For example, hollowpoints and slugs are disabled for security team in my military theaters, and in other theaters, the armor costs for insurgents vary. In other circumstances, I could just copy everything besides the squad and class templates and paste it into every theater, but I can't - cause if I do that, then I have to redo all the gear gear restrictions for all 11 theaters.

It's all incredibly inefficient and would be much simpler if I could derive elements from a single place. It's this kind of thing which makes modding for Insurgency so time consuming - making the content itself is time consuming enough, but redoing all the unnecessary copy/paste work puts it over the edge. I am one of the only people willing to go through all this hassle, and I can't guarantee I'll be willing to do it forever if nothing is changed to improve the situation.
Quote:To the devs, any chance the ability could be added to derive elements from other custom theaters? This would vastly simplify the process of making mods, since you wouldn't have to copy and paste the same elements into every theater variant.

It's one thing to go through the copy/paste process a for a single release... But it's gotten to the point where every time an official update is released, it breaks something in my realism mod, and I am forced to do another release just to fix those things. This simple task involves copying and pasting fixes to the same elements in 11 different theaters, which is incredibly tedious when you have to do it without overwriting things which aren't supposed to be changed.

For example, hollowpoints and slugs are disabled for security team in my military theaters, and in other theaters, the armor costs for insurgents vary. In other circumstances, I could just copy everything besides the squad and class templates and paste it into every theater, but I can't - cause if I do that, then I have to redo all the gear gear restrictions for all 11 theaters.

It's all incredibly inefficient and would be much simpler if I could derive elements from a single place. It's this kind of thing which makes modding for Insurgency so time consuming - making the content itself is time consuming enough, but redoing all the unnecessary copy/paste work puts it over the edge. I am one of the only people willing to go through all this hassle, and I can't guarantee I'll be willing to do it forever if nothing is changed to improve the situation.
Since you're releasing in a vpk, it should be perfectly safe to use "#base" "#gnalvl_base_weapons" and so on in your main theater files.
I would hold off releasing a VPK of it until I get server -> client sync of Workshop items on dedicated servers. That only works with maps right now.

Quote:Since you're releasing in a vpk, it should be perfectly safe to use "#base" "#gnalvl_base_weapons" and so on in your main theater files.

Really? When I tried that in the past, it never seemed to work unless I referenced official theaters...the classes would load with empty loadouts and such. I assumed it was intentional because they devs wanted people to use theaters to change squad loadouts, and not go into actual weapon capabilities and such.

I will definitely give this another shot ASAP, cause it'd make updates much easier. I had been loading the theaters from my raw scripts/theaters folder because it was much easier to test incremental changes as soon as they were made, and I never actually tried it after I packed em up into VPK's.
I have an idea as to why it isn't working. If default.theater is #base'd in any of your own base files, the default theater files could be #base'd multiple times and screw things up. A better option is to not #base anything in your own base files, and instead #base default.theater and then your base files in your main theater files.

I hope that made some sense.
I tried it out last night using vpk's and I was able to get multiple theaters running off my own base custom theater. Everything worked fine, except it was spamming "NullPWeapon=NullPWeapon=NullPWeapon=" into the console way more than usual. I'll experiment some more and see if I can clean that up, but overall it seems like it'll speed up the update process immensely.

EDIT 7/3: I finally found the source of the NullPWeapon errors last night, so it seems deriving from custom base classes is 100% viable as long as they are in a VPK.

I just updated the first post for today's game update. Only two changes which I can see:
<p style="margin-left:40px;">Foregrips are no longer class-restricted.
<p style="margin-left:40px;">Cost modifiers can now be applied to at least weapon upgrades on a per-class basis.
Full diff: http://pastebin.com/SNnm0GKt
Quote:<p style="margin-left:40px;">Cost modifiers can now be applied to at least weapon upgrades on a per-class basis.

It should work for everything.
So now a sniper scope can cost 0 points for the bolt guns and 4 points for the battle rifles, without making 2 copies of each scope?